Hunter Valley and M7 to finish off 6 marathons in July

20 Aug

The marathon frenzy in July continues….. even managed to throw in a “Motherly” moment by getting into the city on Saturday morning to watch Charlie receive his Gold Duke of Ed award from Marie Bashir. That kid never ceases to amaze me. Met up with daughter  Sal and (her boyfriend) Todd to hot foot it up to the Hunter for lunch at Tatler. Perfect pre marathon prep 🙂 So great to see that they have the Half Marathon hype happening

Arrived at the race rego and picked up our bibs and some awesome new gear from Skirts Sports and Injinji. New dress, leggings, visor and arm warmers all got a workout the next day…. Who ever said not to wear anything new on race day hasn’t worn their gear! Not a chafe in sight 😉

July 22nd….. Hunter Valley marathon saw so many of the usual tragics at the start line and a virgin road marathoner. She’s a trail ultra chick but had never run an official 42.195kms on road. Great to have a mate to chat to and forget about what we were doing. We were also too busy watching a Bride and Groom start the race and get hitched at Audrey’s on the first lap. They carried on running, finishing the marathon in just under 4:30…..

Kirrily and I ran together for the first 27kms before she left me in her dust going down the hill after Audrey Wilkinson Wines. I felt pretty good the whole run and was aiming for a cruisy 4:15. Very happy to get through the 42 kms in 4:03. Could I have done a sub 4hour Hunter Valley? Definitely. Shame I didn’t realise how well I was going until the last couple of k’s. That’s a PB for the HV so pretty stoked to see that my times aren’t slowing down.

For the next 6 days I recovered and tapered with only about 30kms of running. I don’t feel at all nervous about running my 100th marathon in September, but I am in cotton wool mode to keep injuries at bay (well, sort of…)

July 29th M7 Cities marathon was always going to be a cruise. As the official 4:30 pacer, I was pretty relaxed and happy to help out. Was a lonely bus….. started with a great group of happy runners (this is the happy photo)….. and finished on my own. Everyone fell off the bus or decided to run ahead.. and most of those that ran ahead I passed in the last 10kms.  Met some great people and tried to pick a few up as I ran past but nobody seemed to want to play 😦 Gee some people just don’t know how to have a good time when they run. (won’t show you any sad photos…)

I ran in a pair of Hoka Evo Tarmacs that were couriered to me on Friday and hadn’t run a step in. Stupid? Nah, just proving the point that you can put a brand new pair of Hokas on, run 42kms and feel like you’re wearing your favourite ugh boots at the finish 🙂 Feeling good for the tough Mt Solitary 45kms next weekend.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: